Nothing better than warm freshly baked Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies. Everyone needs a go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe and this one is mine. It's perfectly crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, bursting with chocolate, and overall just a damn good cookie.
I'm a cookie person through and through. I'd choose a good chocolate chip cookie over any dessert any day so I'm not sure why it took me so long to share this recipe. My favorite thing to do is make a batch of cookie dough, wrap in cling wrap, and place in the freezer so I can have a freshly baked cookie whenever I'm craving something sweet and delicious. Thank me later.
Creating the perfect Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies weren't easy. I went through many tests but when this one came out of the oven.... I knew it was the one. It was perfect. Read below for my best tips and tricks so this cookie will come out just as wonderful for you. Measuring the flour, banging the tray on the counter, and chilling the dough are all VERY important steps that are not to be skipped over. I hope you enjoy!
What You Will Need For These Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
A stand or hand mixer really comes in handy when making cookie dough because you'll want to cream the butter with the sugar. This can be done by hand but will just take a little longer.
- All Purpose Flour
- Organic Cane Sugar
- Room Temperature Vegan Butter
- Chocolate Chunks
Brands I Used:
- Organic Cane Sugar: I use and recommend Florida Crystals. It's a finer processed sugar which makes it great for baking and it is vegan friendly.
- Chocolate Chunks: I use Enjoy Life Mega Chunks. You can use mini chocolate chips, regular chocolate chips, or even a chocolate bar.
- Vegan Butter: I prefer Earth Balance but any vegan butter will work in the recipe. I don't recommend subbing with coconut oil or oil. Butter provides flavor and the right texture.
Substituting ingredients in baking is not recommended. If you do substitute any ingredients and have good results, please share in the comment section below.
How To Make The Best Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Be sure not to over measure the flour. The dough will be dry and you'll end up having to add plant milk to bring the dough together which will ruin the texture. Do not scoop the flour out of the container or bag with your measuring cup, simply spoon the flour in to the measuring cup and level it off with a knife. Do not pack the flour in to the cup or bang the cup on the counter. This will make the flour settle and you'll end up with too much flour.
Chilling the dough for at least 30 minutes is VERY important. An un-chilled cookie dough will spread too much and be very flat and crispy. A chilled dough will create a crisp yet chewy cookie.
Banging the cookie tray on the counter when they come out of the oven will help create the perfect chewy crinkle texture. This step is not to be missed!
More Dessert Recipes You Might Like:
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches
- Vegan Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Tart
- Fudgy Almond Butter Brownies
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 tablespoons Ground Flaxseed mixed with ¼ cup Water
- ½ cup Room Temperature Vegan Butter
- 1 cup Organic Cane Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Molasses
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour see tips & tricks
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¾ cup Vegan Chocolate Chunks
- In a small bowl whisk together the ground flaxseed and ¼ cup water. Set aside to thicken, about 3-5 minutes.
- Cream the room temperature vegan butter in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer. Add in the organic cane sugar and molasses. Once creamed together, add in the flax mixture.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the spooned and leveled all purpose flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients in to the mixer until dough is combined. If the dough is crumbly, add 1 tablespoon Plant Milk. This may or may not be needed. Be careful not to over mix.
- Once dough is combined, turn off mixer and stir in the chocolate chunks with a spatula.
- Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Roll the dough in balls using 4 tablespoons of dough for each cookie (use less if smaller cookies are desired) and press down to slightly flatten with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes or until golden brown on the edges and they will appear soft in the middle but not shiny. They will also be slightly raised when they come out of the oven so bang the tray on the counter 2-5 times to flatten. This part is essential!
- Let the cookies cool for a few minutes and then enjoy warm with a glass of plant milk!