This homemade Easy Vegan Tartar Sauce is so easy to make with just a few simple ingredients, you will never have to buy that store-bought expensive vegan tartar sauce again!
This homemade egg-free tartar sauce is packed with flavor and so much tastier than anything you can buy off the shelf. It’s ready in 5 minutes and best served with vegan fish sticks, vegan crab cakes, or vegan nuggets.
This recipe requires no special equipment. Grab a small bowl and a whisk and that's all you'll need to make homemade tartar sauce! Can also use a food processor, if desired.
Store-bought vegan tartar sauce is pretty expensive and honestly, this homemade version is much better! Learn how to make the best easy vegan tartar sauce with simple ingredients that you're going to love. Perfect for serving with vegan fish sticks, vegan crab cakes or even tofu nuggets!
- Dill Pickles
- Fresh Parsley & Dill
- Vegan Mayo
- Lemon Juice
- Dijon Mustard
This quick and easy homemade Vegan Tartar Sauce is tastier than store-bought and made with dill pickles, capers and vegan mayo.
- Dill Pickles: Adds crunch and flavor. Really balances the rich and creamy mayo.
- Capers: Adds a salty flavorful element that works so well with lemon. Capers are optional but I recommend adding them if you have them.
- Fresh Parsley & Fresh Dill: I love adding both parsley and dill because I have so much growing in my balcony garden but you can use one or the other.
- Vegan Mayo: The main ingredient! Choose your favorite vegan mayo brand or make your own.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is essential!! It adds a zesty, tangy flavor that is a must. Can also add a splash of apple cider vinegar for a more tangy flavor.
- Dijon Mustard: Dijon adds a spicy, flavorful element that helps bring it all together.
How to Make This Recipe
The main ingredient in tartar sauce is mayonnaise. Classic mayonnaise is made from eggs which is not vegan-friendly.
Luckily, so many brands have perfected vegan mayonnaise so we can make an easy vegan tartar sauce recipe right at home. I love the brand Follow your Heart and it happens to be available in most grocery stores.
The creamy vegan mayo is whisked together with finely chopped capers, dill pickles and fresh herbs like dill and parsley.
As well as lemon juice and dijon mustard for acidity and classic flavor that traditional tartar sauce has. Season it with salt and pepper and you've got yourself a super simple and delicious homemade vegan tartar sauce.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Creamy & tangy
- Flavorful yet simple
- Easy to whip up
- Happens to be gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free!
How to Serve Tartar Sauce
- Serve on vegan fish tacos or with fish and chips along with red cabbage slaw.
- Use with store-bought packaged vegan seafood or any vegan seafood dishes. Gardein makes really good fish sticks and crab cakes!
- Serve as a creamy dip for potato wedges, onion rings, French fries, fresh veggies or even these tofu nuggets.
- Mix in to slaw or even potato salad. Serve with this bbq tempeh bowl or on a sandwich.
Storage: This vegan tartar sauce recipe can be stored in an airtight container or glass jar for up to 5 days.
Freezing: This recipe only takes a few minutes to whip up so I don't recommend freezing it.
Additions & Substitutions
- Herbs: Chives, green onions as well as parsley and dill. Use one or a nice mix. You could also use dried dill or parsley.
- Add a Dash of Sweetness: Use bread and butter pickles or add a dash of maple syrup.
- Add Some Heat: Use a pinch of red pepper flakes or diced pickled jalapeños.
- Garlic or Onion Powder: Add some fresh crushed garlic, roasted garlic or even a little garlic powder or onion powder..
- Vegan Mayo: Any vegan store-bought mayo will work or you can make your own homemade vegan mayo out of aquafaba or even silken tofu. You could also use vegan sour cream or vegan unsweetened yogurt but that would impact the flavor.
- Dill Pickles: Use store-bought dill relish or even sweet pickle relish.
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe is soy-free as long as you use a soy-free vegan mayo.
Tartar sauce is naturally dairy-free but is made from eggs. This vegan tartar sauce contains neither.
Follow Your Heart is a popular choice but Trader Joe's has a vegan mayo as well as Hellmans.
Yes, this tartar sauce recipe is best made ahead of time so the flavors can develop.
Yes, this sauce can be served right away or stored in the fridge for up to a week.
More Sauce Recipes You’ll Love:
- Spicy Vegan Teriyaki Sauce
- Vegan Roasted Garlic Aioli (Oil-Free!)
- Homemade Vegan BBQ Sauce
- Easy Vegan Honey Mustard Dressing
Easy Vegan Tartar Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Pickles
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Capers
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Dill
- ½ cup Vegan Mayo
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Finely chop the pickles, capers, dill and parsley.
- Add to a small bowl along with vegan mayo, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- Use right away or store in an airtight container or jar for up to a week.
Leave a Reply